THE MARINE AIR COMMAND AND CONTROL SQUADRON
MARINE CORPS AVIATION ASSOCIATION
Our Squadron is for all Marines who are or were part of Marine Air Command and Control. The name honors a small team of Marines who created an all weather bombing system in 1949 at Point Magu, California that evolved to become the Air Support Radar Team (ASRT). The equipment was sent to the Korean War as part of the 1st MAW, 1st MTACS. The radio call sign was Devastate Charlie. We are part of the Marine Corps Aviation Association. Click on the MCAA logo below for more information or to join. If you want to post stories or photos send them to email@example.com Semper Fi
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Devastate Charlie Minutes
Marines, Friends, Fellow squadron mates:
As promised, the minutes of our first squadron meeting are below (thanks Sid!). The meeting unfolded well and met each of its objectives--specifically approving the by-laws and electing the officers. The following morning the squadron was officially inducted into the MCAA with a short ceremony at the conclusion of the membership meeting.
Attached is the roster of current membership (as of 22 May) that also reflects our list of plank owners (see below).
Also attached are the final by-laws, approved by unanimous consent of the attending members of Devastate Charlie.
The current roster of officers follows. Officers will serve a term of one year:
CO Col Pete Yeager (non-elected--serves concurrent with duties as MACG-48 CO)
Dep CO Col (Ret) Curt Ames
Secretary LtCol (Ret) Ray Pollard
Membership Cmte Col (Ret) Bill Bowling
Asst Membership LtCol Aaron Weiss
Historic Cmte Col (sel) Chad Breeden
Asst Historic LtCol (Ret) Mike Trabun
Strategic Comm Col (Ret) Medio Monti
Asst Strategic Capt Ralph Lemaster
Col Pete Yeager
CO, MACG-48 and CO, Devastate Charlie
Date: Thursday 19 May 1500
Location: Town and Country Inn, San Diego, CA
Col Pete Yeager Commanding Officer MACG-48
- Calls the meeting to order and offers introductory remarks about the importance of the MACCS in the MAGTF.
- Notes that MACG-48 will serve as the Devastate Charlie active unit host. The Commanding Officer of MACG-48 will serve as the Devastate Charlie Commanding Officer.
- Briefly reviews agenda for this meeting.
- All attendees introduce themselves.
- Calls for a moment of silence to recognize the ultimate sacrifice of LtCol Ben "Chili" Palmer, a MACCS Marine recently killed in Afghanistan.
- Passes out copies of the draft Devastate Charlie By laws for members and prospective members to view and provide comments.
- Col Jeff Merchant, USMC, 2nd MAW G-3, asks if MCAA members can maintain membership in two squadrons. Answer is yes but acknowledges that the MCAA database may not display both (i.e. potentially one affiliate must be chosen due to database limits).
- Minor edits were suggested and agreed upon by the members.
- By laws were unanimously approved by MCAA Devastate Charlie members present.
Selection of Officers
- Col Yeager notes that recommended billets to fill are Deputy Commander, Historical Committee, Membership Committee, Secretary. Additionally he suggests that where applicable a billet holder and deputy should be a combination of uniformed member and retired/out of uniform member.
- Col Curt Ames, USMC Ret is nominated as Deputy Commander and approved by acclimation as submitted by Ray Pollard.
- Col Chad Breeden is nominated (in absentia) by Col Yeager to serve as Historic Committee Chairman. Col Yeager notes that he has previously discussed this with Col Breeden who agrees to serve in this capacity. Nomination unanimously approved by members.
- LtCol Mike Trabun, USMC Ret volunteers to serve as the Deputy to Col Breeden. Unanimously approved by members.
- Col Yeager nominates Col Bill Bowling, USMC Ret as Membership Committee Chairman. Nomination unanimously approved by members.
- LtCol Aaron Weiss, USMC, CO 3d LAAD Bn volunteers to serve as the Deputy to Col Bowling. Unanimously approved by members.
- Col Curt Ames nominates Ray Pollard to be the Secretary. Nomination unanimously approved by members.
Deputy Commandant for Aviation, LtGen Robling visits the meeting and offers encouragement and commendation to the Devastate Charlie standup.
- Suggestion from the floor to establish a Strategic Communication Committee. Unanimously approved by members.
- Col Medio Monti USMC, Ret nominated to lead Strategic Communication Committee. Nomination unanimously approved by members.
- Capt Ralph Lemaster, USMC nominated to assist Col Monti on Strategic Communication Committee. Nomination unanimously approved by members.
- Definition of Plank Owner clarified by Col Jeff Davis, USMC, CO MACG-38. Plank Owners will be those Members who join MCAA prior to the end of the MCAA Reunion Meeting held 18-21 May 2011.
- Devastate Charlie Deputy Commander, Col Curt Ames, USMC Ret notes the Devastate Charlie hospitality room will open shortly and invites all to attend.
- Inaugural Devastate Charlie Meeting is adjourned.