|Commanding Officer Colonel Peter J. DeVine|
Marine Air Control Group 28 History
Marine Air Control Group-28 (MACG-28) was initially activated
in January 1956 at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North
Carolina. It was designated as Marine Wing Headquarters Group
of the Second Marine Aircraft Wing. Its composition included
Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron-2 and Marine Air Control Squadron 7 (MACS-7). In 1965 MACS-7 was directed to deploy to Okinawa and subsequently saw duty in the Republic of Vietnam.
In 1966 the Group was redesignated as Marine Air Control
Group-2. It was in this year that Third Light Anti-Aircraft
Missile Battalion (3rd LAAM Bn) was assigned to the Group.
In 1967, redesignation occurred again and the Group was
assigned its present day title as Marine Air Control Group-28.
With its new designation came the additional organizations of Marine Air Support Squadron-1 and Marine Air Control Squadron-5.